Update 2022-09-17: Added the 50 million missing 2007-2008 /b/ posts! Read about this and other changes here.
Update 2023-06-21: Added 2 million 2004-2014 world4ch/dis.4chan textboard posts.
Update 2023-07-10: Added 3-4 million 2006-2013 posts from the former chanarchive.org.

Welcome to Oldfriend Archive, hosting ~170M text-only 2004-2014 4chan posts (mostly 2006-2008).
[7 / 0 / ?]

Prophecies

No.3082428 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
Hey /tg/, I've recently finished reading the Belgariad and the Malloreon, and the two series got me thinking of a new style of game.

At its base, its a normal fantasy game, but all the PC's are part of a Prophecy, of the same style as used in the books. However, rather than a faggy GM railroad device, give the players the option of negotiating the terms of the prophecy, kinda like how the players construct the imperator in nobilis. The PC's can define their role in the prophecy, what the prophecy allows them to do, the role of any supernatural partners (Gods, spirits etc) and so on. As a balancing agent, for every thing their prophecy can do, the opposing prophecy can also do. For every favour they can call, one can be called against them.

They might not know the entire terms of the prophecy, but if the GM has time he might draft out a short "Codex" of a prophet or two, to give them hints and clues. or, if he doesn't have time, just have one or two NPC's who are investigating such ficticious documents occasionally give them hints and clues on whats meant to happen where.

It needs a bit of fleshing out, but i think it could be a very interesting and novel way to play an otherwise ordinary fantasy game.