Update 2024-03-27: Greatly expanded the "Samples" page and renamed it to "Glossary".
Update 2024-04-04: Added 5 million mid-2011 posts from the k47 post dump. Browse (mostly) them here.
Update 2024-04-07: Added ~400 October 2003 posts from 4chan.net. Browse them here.

Welcome to Oldfriend Archive, hosting ~170M text-only 2003-2014 4chan posts (mostly 2006-2008).
[118 / 0 / ?]

Odd Powergamer

No.3082827 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
Hey /tg/, I have a rather odd problem.

Essentially, I have a player who is the strangest form of powergamer ever. He builds perfectly viable characters with in depth backstories and mechanics designed to reflect the character rather than give any form of unfair advantage, although they're usually balanced against the other characters in the group.

The only odd thing is his characters always have some degree of knowledge of science, be it physics, chemistry or whatever.

Then, he uses this knowledge to gain an unfair advantage.

Its hard to get your head around, but its shit like making his mecha immune to lightning based weaponry- the main tool of his enemies- by making his armour function as a faraday cage. Now, if i just say "It doesn't work" he doesn't make a scene, although he will make a sarcy comment about how this particular change in the laws of physics means x, y and z are impossible in the setting. he simply notes it down, and the next time, he'll use the changed law of physics instead, gaining an advantage that way. if i keep changing it, it'll just keep getting worse and worse until he somehow finds an position i can't back out of.

If i keep the laws of physics constant, as they are in reality, he simply uses his out of game knowledge of physics or whatever (without metagaming, as the character always has the requisite knowledge skills) to dominate virtually any situation. its beginning to get aggravating.

I've tried to talk to him, but he doesn't see whats wrong with it, and he's a damn good roleplayer, a central member of a pretty small group (Four players, one GM, no new players likely to turn up anytime soon). What do i do /tg/?