Update 2024-03-27: Greatly expanded the "Samples" page and renamed it to "Glossary".
Update 2024-04-04: Added 5 million mid-2011 posts from the k47 post dump. Browse (mostly) them here.
Update 2024-04-07: Added ~400 October 2003 posts from 4chan.net. Browse them here.

Welcome to Oldfriend Archive, the official 4chan archive of the NSA. Hosting ~170M text-only 2003-2014 4chan posts (mostly 2006-2008).
[9 / 0 / ?]

No.341036 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
So /an/ I've got some questions to ask you about house cats.

I think I may get a cat for shits and giggles. I'm a die hard dog lover and have always had bad thoughts about cats but I love wild cats such as the cougar, bobcat, fishing cat, lynx ect. The main issue i've always had with cats is they seem to be good for nothing. Sit around the house being lazy and boring but I think maybe a properly "trained" cat could be a very interesting animal to have. Which brings my to my questions.

First and for most...
Are the cat breeds about the same? What I mean by this is do their personalities differ from breed to breed like dogs? I'm asking this in hopes to get a detailed account of each breed this doesn't have to come all from one person just tell me what you've learned about the breed(s) you've owned and love. I've always wondered this. Most cats I come across are mutt street cats that bite and scratch the shit out of you as you pull them out from under your house so I don't have much experience with fullbreed felines.

Another question is can they be trained? Dogs can be taut many things; from barking on command to getting the newspaper... I'm not asking things the likes of these just if they can maybe sit, stay, fetch, ect.

Cats can freely roam outside without a leash / human to follow them around. I've always thought this to be biased and somewhat unethical but I guess if spayed / neutered it wouldn't be so bad, cats seem to enjoy it outside as long as the dog next door doesn't get ahold of them, cough. Do different breeds prefer the outside over others or are they all about the same in this department?

This is enough for now. I'm sure I'll think of more as replies start flowing. Thanks for the time guys.