Update 2024-03-27: Greatly expanded the "Samples" page and renamed it to "Glossary".
Update 2024-04-04: Added 5 million mid-2011 posts from the k47 post dump. Browse (mostly) them here.
Update 2024-04-07: Added ~400 October 2003 posts from 4chan.net. Browse them here.

Welcome to Oldfriend Archive, the official 4chan archive of the NSA. Hosting ~170M text-only 2003-2014 4chan posts (mostly 2006-2008).
[14 / 1 / ?]

mouse babbies

No.981710 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
Hey /an/. Emergency-ish time.

I've had a mouse living in my bedroom for about 10 days. While I fully intended to humanely trap her and take her outside, I've been putting it off. I really don't mind sharing my space with a single mouse, anyway.

Today, I heard squeaking. I thought it was odd, and figured she'd probably injured herself maneuvering the labyrinth of clutter in my closet, but the squeaking soon stopped and I forgot about it.

Hours later, I hear the squeaks again. I immediately thought she made have gotten pinned under something, so I started to carefully dismantle my closet. The squeaks weren't stopping. Eventually, found the source of the squeaking; 6 baby mice in a nest of tissues and lint inside my N64 box. I picked one up to see if I could tell his age. He looked to be a day old, though I didn't see any blood from the birth (should there have been some?). The litter looked quite healthy. Then I saw the mom hiding in the tangle of AC cords... She looked terrorized and tried to hop out of the box several times. I quickly put everything back and left her alone, but now I'm wondering if there's a possibility she'll abandon the nest for having been made to think it was unsafe? Is this likely?

I left cooked oats and dried fruit under the closet door.... there's no water in here (I'm not sure where she's been getting it for the past several days, but she looks very healthy..) should I leave water out or does she get moisture from the food she's eating..?

Is there anything else I should do? And when would be a good time to relocate the family? I don't want to do it right now, while the babies are so young, but I should probably do it before they're old enough to start leaving the nest on their own, so I don't get an infestation. Any rodent people know when that would be? Again, I'm assuming they're about 12 hours old today.