Update 2024-03-27: Greatly expanded the "Samples" page and renamed it to "Glossary".
Update 2024-04-04: Added 5 million mid-2011 posts from the k47 post dump. Browse (mostly) them here.
Update 2024-04-07: Added ~400 October 2003 posts from 4chan.net. Browse them here.

Welcome to Oldfriend Archive, hosting ~170M text-only 2003-2014 4chan posts (mostly 2006-2008).
[7 / 3 / ?]

Is there any hope?

No.986772 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
Fellow /an/ons, I've been wondering about something...

I haven't own my very own dog yet. I've grown up with a family dog, but that's as close as I've ever been. I'm currently in college and cannot afford a dog, but I've been planning, doing the necessary research and so on to get ready when the day comes.

I've had the "adopt, don't shop" mentality for a while now, but recently, I've begun to question it. I am well-aware of that thousands of pedigree dogs are loaded with genetic faults and that serious breeders are hard to find. I am also aware of that backyard breeders and puppy mills are completely out of question, but something hit me: Shelters are filled up with all kinds of dogs, INCLUDING the ones that have been bred by backyard breeders and puppy mills.

This concern has pressured me to look for serious breeders instead, but it still gnaws at me to look for a pup while those in shelters are in need of a home. Honestly, I just want a friendly, healthy pet, most preferably one that I can be somewhat active with, like in dogsports. If I'm sure that I can get one from a serious breeder, is it worth the gamble to get a shelter dog?

I'm not trying to start a war here, so please spare me your moralfagging, I just want the facts. I'd also like to hear your experiences: Do you own a pedigree dog? A shelter dog? Maybe both? How is their health?