Update 2024-03-27: Greatly expanded the "Samples" page and renamed it to "Glossary".
Update 2024-04-04: Added 5 million mid-2011 posts from the k47 post dump. Browse (mostly) them here.
Update 2024-04-07: Added ~400 October 2003 posts from 4chan.net. Browse them here.

Welcome to Oldfriend Archive, the official 4chan archive of the NSA. Hosting ~170M text-only 2003-2014 4chan posts (mostly 2006-2008).
[10 / 1 / ?]

tom ga kai

No.2775544 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
hey there /ck/! this board has been good to me, so i thought i'd post a recipe. i posted a thread a while ago about a thai citrus fish recipe i was playing around with. well, i've pretty much perfected it so i decided to move on to something else. i wanted something with coconut milk so after some googling i went with Tom Ga Kai, which is essentially chicken and coconut milk soup. sounds gross, no? well, no. its delicious, and incredibly easy save the fact that most people don't have coconut milk lying around - but trust me its worth getting some! i made a whole pot today and ate the entire thing throughout the day. here's the recipe but this is a soup, so pretty much everything is to taste.

in the pot:
just a few sliced green onions, or some very finely minced yellow onion if you don't have green.
a tiny chunk of ginger peeled and sliced. i used about a tablespoon.
thinly sliced pieces of chicken. i've used both boneless skinless chicken breast and skin-on leg meat peeled off the bone. the dark meat had more flavor (mmm, skin), but the grease was a little much. the white meat is "fresher".
something with some heat. i used jalapeno because its all i had, but some type of thai chili might be more appropriate.
maybe a little garlic, but i usually just forego it. this soup is about balancing simple flavors, no need to just keep adding stuff for the sake of adding it.

on those little spaces between your burners on the stove:
a can of coconut milk
a can of chicken broth
a handful of chopped cilantro
3 small button mushrooms, sliced as thin as you can
lime juice