Update 2024-03-27: Greatly expanded the "Samples" page and renamed it to "Glossary".
Update 2024-04-04: Added 5 million mid-2011 posts from the k47 post dump. Browse (mostly) them here.
Update 2024-04-07: Added ~400 October 2003 posts from 4chan.net. Browse them here.

Welcome to Oldfriend Archive, the official 4chan archive of the NSA. Hosting ~170M text-only 2003-2014 4chan posts (mostly 2006-2008).
[216 / 0 / ?]

Pip-Boy-esque Smartphone Bracer

No.336587 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
Sup /diy/nosaurs,

I'm working on a forearm bracer for my phone, sorta inspired by the Pip-boy from Fallout. My prototype currently has a case for the phone and an external rechargeable battery, and secures to my arm with two big fat belts of velcro which are glued to the back of the phone case. (The battery pack is not secured to the contraption yet.)

While this works, I know velcro has a limited lifespan and I would like to work something up with side-release buckles or similar, with belts that could be easily replaced should they wear out.

The bracer needs to cinch down fairly tight and not wiggle around; I'm thinking I could cut a bracer out of leather (I have some veg-tan hide in the garage) and line the inside with wetsuit rubber so that it doesn't slide around on my arm. Not sure how comfortable having rubber friction-welded to my arm all day would be, though.

I searched around online for bracers and archery arm guards but couldn't find anything that would cinch down tight enough or be durable enough to wear daily.

I may rig up some additional sensors or some shit to interface with the phone.

Thoughts?