Update 2024-03-27: Greatly expanded the "Samples" page and renamed it to "Glossary".
Update 2024-04-04: Added 5 million mid-2011 posts from the k47 post dump. Browse (mostly) them here.
Update 2024-04-07: Added ~400 October 2003 posts from 4chan.net. Browse them here.

Welcome to Oldfriend Archive, the official 4chan archive of the NSA. Hosting ~170M text-only 2003-2014 4chan posts (mostly 2006-2008).
[40 / 2 / ?]

No.17277086 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
Ok /g/ here's the deal. I have to make a program that simulates a Von Neumann architecture. Basically, an interpreter. The input is a file written in binary that defines the program to be executed (yes, the source code will be binary), and that program will run on a small area of ram that simulates all the system memory. The syntax of the language is VERY similar to x86 assembler, with MOV, ADD, SUB, MUL etc, only in binary. I know this kind of assignment is common in college, but I read that it takes months, often an entire semester. I'm in high school and i have three weeks, but I have a group of like 6-7 people plus me working on it (work is not yet started). I'm not asking for the answer or something, just some insights on how to implement something or other useful advice. Also, we didn't yet study 'classes' but I'll try to implement them anyways... They don't seem that bad to do alone. Anyway, some of my doubts as of now are: how do I know if the program is using memory outside the assigned addresses? I explain myself (not an english speaker, I'm sorry): what I mean is this. Out of my system memory of 1GB, I will assign say 1MB to the simulated machine, and that would be the entire system memory for the simulated machine.