Update 2024-03-27: Greatly expanded the "Samples" page and renamed it to "Glossary".
Update 2024-04-04: Added 5 million mid-2011 posts from the k47 post dump. Browse (mostly) them here.
Update 2024-04-07: Added ~400 October 2003 posts from 4chan.net. Browse them here.

Welcome to Oldfriend Archive, the official 4chan archive of the NSA. Hosting ~170M text-only 2003-2014 4chan posts (mostly 2006-2008).
[70 / 7 / ?]

No.838730 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
Alright /ic/ I need some info and/or advice.
I want to be a freelance artist, or at least, that's where I want to start my art career, but I'm not good enough yet.

Right now I am getting my art transfer degree at a local community college (even though I don't know if I am going to transfer) and work a shitty retail job 20h a week. I'm thinking of gathering 3-5k, then quitting and practicing art all day erry day until i'm good enough, because between school and work, I have very little time to practice. At my school we cover so many offering mediums and shit that they only cover the basics of each, and I don't have a chance to get good at what I'm working towards, which is illustration I guess. So,there's my story, here are my questions.

-Where do you get your client base? I know concept art and deviant art are good places, and fur affinity if I'm desperate, but are there any other good ones?
-How do you charge for what kinds of work?
-How do you handle multiple commissions at the same time?
-Pay before? After? Half now, half later?
-Am I making a horrible decision?

Any other advice or freelance stories would be invaluable as well, I am hoping other artists can learn from this thread as well.