Update 2024-03-27: Greatly expanded the "Samples" page and renamed it to "Glossary".
Update 2024-04-04: Added 5 million mid-2011 posts from the k47 post dump. Browse (mostly) them here.
Update 2024-04-07: Added ~400 October 2003 posts from 4chan.net. Browse them here.

Welcome to Oldfriend Archive, the official 4chan archive of the NSA. Hosting ~170M text-only 2003-2014 4chan posts (mostly 2006-2008).
[9 / 2 / ?]

No.944744 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
/ic/, how do you politely tell someone irl that their art is horrible and they need to do anatomy studies badly?

I know this guy at Uni through a drawing class I took for fun who draws worse than a 12 year old, but wants to be a professional artist. It's so bad that when he does studies, he gives the people animu proportions (he copied a man with a massive head and tiny body, completely ignoring what the study actually looked like)
Usually people like this are complete arses, but this kid is a nice person and I really don't want to see him crash and burn. He's completely oblivious to the quality of his art since the professor just gives him asspats for whatever he does; the prof never requires him to do better. (maybe for the same reason I haven't, because it may offend him and alienate him from improving)

How do I convince him to start doing real studies and reading books without offending him? I wouldn't just go up and say "your art sucks", but I'm unsure if a "you need to work on this, this is how you can improve" will work.
What do?