Update 2024-03-27: Greatly expanded the "Samples" page and renamed it to "Glossary".
Update 2024-04-04: Added 5 million mid-2011 posts from the k47 post dump. Browse (mostly) them here.
Update 2024-04-07: Added ~400 October 2003 posts from 4chan.net. Browse them here.

Welcome to Oldfriend Archive, hosting ~170M text-only 2003-2014 4chan posts (mostly 2006-2008).
[7 / 2 / ?]

No.947858 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
Hey /ic/, I didn't know which board to go to for this type of situation, so I figured I'd pitch this to you guys before I made an even bigger mistake that I already have by taking up this job.

So earlier today I was offered to make a webpage, flyer, and menu for this local restaurant/lounge near my home. I've been going to this place for quite some time now and they've taken a liking to me to where they'd give me some certain food on the house. Anyways, the owner approaches me and converses with me like he usually does, tells me that business isn't doing well, etc. I tell him that I'd work with him to make advertising more approachable to people not accustomed to his restaurant by creating a new look for his place. Here's where I screwed up, though. I told him that out of the kindness of my heart, I'd be doing it for free since the restaurant isn't doing too well. Now when I think about it, I've got a portfolio and projects designed for different customers (which I've gotten paid for) completed. Now, don't get me wrong, there's nothing more that I'd like to see than a local company flourish, especially one that I frequent quite often, but I don't want to get my creative output taken advantage of, either.

Anyways, I haven't started doing anything for the place and I've got an appointment with the owner tomorrow to see what I could do to spruce the place up. What should I do? Has anyone here worked for free and been fine with it?

If it matters, I'm 21, still going to school and worked in an advertising agency a year ago.