Update 2024-03-27: Greatly expanded the "Samples" page and renamed it to "Glossary".
Update 2024-04-04: Added 5 million mid-2011 posts from the k47 post dump. Browse (mostly) them here.
Update 2024-04-07: Added ~400 October 2003 posts from 4chan.net. Browse them here.

Welcome to Oldfriend Archive, the official 4chan archive of the NSA. Hosting ~170M text-only 2003-2014 4chan posts (mostly 2006-2008).
[15 / 2 / ?]

First Time Buyer

No.8780647 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
Sup /k/

I've never used this board before, but I figured It would be a safe place to seek some advice for a first time gun buyer. I'm looking to buy my first handgun. I'm not an avid shooter, only shot a few times in my life (Glock 21 and M9, and a couple rifles), but I'd like to start shooting more as a hobby and also have a gun to just have a gun (trying to be prepared). Anyway, a few of my considerations...

1. I work for a police department (civilian dispatcher, not a cop). I know that a lot of professionals look down on the 9mm cartridge for being too small/weak. Is there any merit to this? Even my department requires duty weapons to be .40 or .45

2. How much stock do you put into magazine capacity? Should it be a major consideration? Obviously more is better but I still have to be able to hit my target.

3. I live in Illinois, so concealed carry isn't an option. Nevertheless, laws change, and I could move. So mobility can be considered.

4. What does /k/ think about Berettas? I fell in love with the 92 a long time ago, partly because it's just a beautiful gun, party because it's got a nice 15 round mag capacity. But again, 9mm. I could always go with the 96, but I've heard not so good things.

5. Everyone talks up Glock... Are they really that amazing? Should I just go with the flow and buy one?

6. Sort of followup to 1, I'm a civilian employee for now, but I've considered taking the police test and persuing becoming a sworn officer. So I may want to keep in mind the practicality/requirements for a duty weapon should I decide to use this gun for that.