Update 2024-03-27: Greatly expanded the "Samples" page and renamed it to "Glossary".
Update 2024-04-04: Added 5 million mid-2011 posts from the k47 post dump. Browse (mostly) them here.
Update 2024-04-07: Added ~400 October 2003 posts from 4chan.net. Browse them here.

Welcome to Oldfriend Archive, the official 4chan archive of the NSA. Hosting ~170M text-only 2003-2014 4chan posts (mostly 2006-2008).
[7 / 2 / ?]

No.6402814 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
So this isn't /m/ exactly but I know /m/ has a large number of fansubbers around and I was wondering if I could ask some questions about the subject to see if I could somehow get a project done I desperately want to see.

Basically, what all goes into fansubbing a show? I understand you have to translate, time, encode, and QC, but exactly what does that entail? Could someone like me, whose only real skill (at the moment, am willing to learn to time and/or encode) is in English (as in, I write fiction, edit, etc) be useful in helping sub a show or would I not be much of a help?

As for the show that I would desperately want to try getting proper fansubs of, it's called Elite Yankee Saburo. It has somewhat of a cult following online and I actually got it off /t/ just before January, so I'm hoping that maybe some people here have heard of it and know the situation of the show right now. Someone on D-Addicts subbed the first five episodes and did a passable job (it's not the best, but at least there are mostly understandable sentences) but dropped the project there. The last half of the show was then subbed using HK subs and they're horrible and only halfway translated, leaving me wondering what some Chinese phrases mean. Basically if someone would help me do it, either someone new to fansubbing or an already established group, I'd like to try giving this hilarious show some proper fansubs that I can sit and enjoy, rather than pausing every few seconds trying to understand what's actually being said.

I have raws of the show in 720p and the softsubs/scripts that are currently around online, just in case anyone is wondering about that. Anyone who is serious about getting a hold of me or just has questions about the show can reach me at my e-mail invisiblephoton (at) gmail (dot) com.