Update 2024-03-27: Greatly expanded the "Samples" page and renamed it to "Glossary".
Update 2024-04-04: Added 5 million mid-2011 posts from the k47 post dump. Browse (mostly) them here.
Update 2024-04-07: Added ~400 October 2003 posts from 4chan.net. Browse them here.

Welcome to Oldfriend Archive, the official 4chan archive of the NSA. Hosting ~170M text-only 2003-2014 4chan posts (mostly 2006-2008).
[17 / 1 / ?]

It's news...in the making

No.672432 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
Ok /n/
I can't help put feel anger when I look at the following situation.
Companies like google and micropenis are not only targeting us with ads in the hopes that they eventually control our every thought, but are currently planing to make us completely dependent on their online services (say hello again to the concept of terminals).
How do I know this?
Well...You might have noticed that google now offers the same services that the Microsoft Office suit offers online, for free.
To counter this, Ballmer is planning on buying yahoo and migrating the whole Office experience to being online as well. Completely online, as in IT'S NOT GONNA BE SOLD IN STORES EVER AGAIN.
So, you might think this is only a logical step up and that i'm just being paranoid, but...
It's only a matter of time before some fuckhead over at Microsoft decides it's better to just make everything be accessed remotely. They only give you a "client" of sorts, and you just connect to a server for the rest.
That way they could have complete control over the things you do in the web (and just about anywhere else), and they might see it as a way of decreasing piracy. Heck, if the matter ever goes to congress, they might even pass legislation to make this transition mandatory.
This would be completely appealing to regular people off course, but what about the rest of us? What about 4chan eh?
And i'm not saying this would happen shortly either (that's impossible). It could take years, even decades.