Update 2024-03-27: Greatly expanded the "Samples" page and renamed it to "Glossary".
Update 2024-04-04: Added 5 million mid-2011 posts from the k47 post dump. Browse (mostly) them here.
Update 2024-04-07: Added ~400 October 2003 posts from 4chan.net. Browse them here.

Welcome to Oldfriend Archive, the official 4chan archive of the NSA. Hosting ~170M text-only 2003-2014 4chan posts (mostly 2006-2008).
[1 / 1 / ?]

Airplane Crash

No.679477 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
http://ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20080208X00158&key=1

On February 6, 2008, at 7:55 Eastern Standard time, N140FT, a PA-28 was involved in a runway incursion at the St. Augustine Airport (SGJ), St. Augustine, Florida during night visual meteorological conditions. There were no injuries to the one student pilot on board and minor damage reported on the airplane.

According to the FAA’s preliminary report, the student solo pilot arrived from Deland, Florida and requested to taxi back to the active runway for departure. The SGJ contract tower local controller provided taxi instruction to runway 31 via runway 20, taxiway B to B4. The pilot went past taxiway B4 and requested the tower controller provide progressive taxi instructions. The tower controller taxied N140FT onto runway 6 (which was not in use) to hold short of runway 31. When the pilot requested takeoff clearance, he was on runway 6/24 holding short of runway 31. The tower controller stated, "runway 31, cleared for takeoff." The pilot read back "cleared for takeoff".

According to the pilot, "The Air Traffic Controller told me that I was good there and gave me clearance to depart 31. I understood that to mean I was on [runway] 31 and clear for departure so I completed my pre-takeoff checklist and began my ground roll. Then I noticed I was on the wrong runway and tried to stop, but was too late and the momentum carried me into the marsh."

According to the preliminary report, the tower controller observed the aircraft make the turn onto runway 31 and then turned to do administrative duties, (the hourly weather). The pilot of N140FT had departed straight ahead on runway 6 from the intersection of runway 6/31 with approximately 200 feet of runway remaining. A short time later the pilot buzzed the tower door and advised the controller that he had ran off the runway into the Intercostal Waterway.