Update 2024-03-27: Greatly expanded the "Samples" page and renamed it to "Glossary".
Update 2024-04-04: Added 5 million mid-2011 posts from the k47 post dump. Browse (mostly) them here.
Update 2024-04-07: Added ~400 October 2003 posts from 4chan.net. Browse them here.

Welcome to Oldfriend Archive, the official 4chan archive of the NSA. Hosting ~170M text-only 2003-2014 4chan posts (mostly 2006-2008).
[2 / 1 / ?]

No.693628 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
In the last couple of weeks, we have seen a gauntlet thrown down. #4chan group “Anonymous” has published a definitive attack on what is known as the Church of Scientology.

I’ll start here- What Scientology is or isn’t is not the point of this. A new way of bringing dissension to the table, is.

This may be one of the few stories on the IT News blog that is simply a condensation of everything I have been able to learn. Citations will follow.

Why is it newsworthy? Because I think that the group Anonymous has taken a few good lessons recently and learned how to take a protest to the people who may care. The people who may be vulnerable. And possibly demonstrate to business why the approach they have taken may have some merit.

The concept of “Anonymous” is simple. The collective “we” are literally Anonymous. Any person can be “we”. A supporter, a curious person, a committed individual. They’re all “we.” And the impact of the “viral” element is that someone that the originator doesn’t know may take up the banner and become part of “we.” Possibly even an intrinsic part.

Near as I can discover, the group that calls itself Anonymous began in the IRC space and defined worlds based in l33t. Their communication was nearly indecipherable if you didn’t misspell on their terms. The “attacks” that they made at the time were limited to the chan world. If you didn’t chan, you didn’t know or care.

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/tech-news/?p=2051