Update 2024-03-27: Greatly expanded the "Samples" page and renamed it to "Glossary".
Update 2024-04-04: Added 5 million mid-2011 posts from the k47 post dump. Browse (mostly) them here.
Update 2024-04-07: Added ~400 October 2003 posts from 4chan.net. Browse them here.

Welcome to Oldfriend Archive, the official 4chan archive of the NSA. Hosting ~170M text-only 2003-2014 4chan posts (mostly 2006-2008).
[38 / 5 / ?]

No.4615710 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
Wannabe hypermiler here. I'm never buying a hybrid since I think it's full of shit to load half a ton of batteries into a car to improve fuel efficiency. I'm instead taking the route of biofuels and getting a diesel Mercedes.

For the best results, I've narrowed down my search to a 4-speed manual 240D. They're known for being reliable, efficient, comfortable, and few standard electrical systems to go wrong, so long-term maintenance will be much cheaper than other Mercedes cars. However, it leaves one thing to be desired: its 65-horsepower engine, which in all reality, most of them are probably down to 50 now. Normally, one would just grab a turbo and slap it right on, but since I'm wanting to go hypermiling with this car, that's not an option.

I have a gasoline-powered Saturn, and I've upgraded its intake and put in a high-voltage ignition system, both of which have got it up to 45MPG highway. Since the 240D can only take the former upgrade, is there anything else I can do to improve its performance without compromising on fuel efficiency?