Update 2024-03-27: Greatly expanded the "Samples" page and renamed it to "Glossary".
Update 2024-04-04: Added 5 million mid-2011 posts from the k47 post dump. Browse (mostly) them here.
Update 2024-04-07: Added ~400 October 2003 posts from 4chan.net. Browse them here.

Welcome to Oldfriend Archive, the official 4chan archive of the NSA. Hosting ~170M text-only 2003-2014 4chan posts (mostly 2006-2008).
[9 / 0 / ?]

Photo Classes

No.298972 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
So for the next school quarter, I've decided to take time to expand on my interests, which means taking some photography classes at a local art center. Here are the descriptions for the two I'm torn between:

"Learn both the technical and artistic skills in the art of photography. Students will first learn how to operate a manual camera and master its functions to compose quality images. Focusing on shooting techniques and how to recognize and create a “good photograph,” students will explore different films, f-stop and shutter speed settings, and lenses. The class will also spend time working in the darkroom to learn how to process and print photographic images."

AND

"Learn the ins and outs of your digital camera, from point-and-shoots to digital SLRs. This class will explain camera controls (from f-stops to white balance) and how to use the tools of digital photography to make better pictures. Through hands-on experience shooting and editing, students will learn basic image adjustments in Photoshop, and produce digital prints in both black and white and color. Composition, shooting strategies, and artistic issues surrounding digital imagery will be discussed. Students should have a basic knowledge of computers and bring their camera, manual, and any accessories to the first class."

I already have an SLR [Canon AL-1], and a couple of lenses, so i wouldn't have to buy too much extra equipment for the class. However, I was planning on getting a dSLR in the next few months/year. I personally am favoring the first class, since i would probably learn more, and the stuff would carry over to digital photography [rite?]

/p/'s thoughts?

Pic largely unrelated, but I'd like to learn to take a decent picture of a person. Most of my passable stuff is of nature or architecture