Update 2024-03-27: Greatly expanded the "Samples" page and renamed it to "Glossary".
Update 2024-04-04: Added 5 million mid-2011 posts from the k47 post dump. Browse (mostly) them here.
Update 2024-04-07: Added ~400 October 2003 posts from 4chan.net. Browse them here.

Welcome to Oldfriend Archive, the official 4chan archive of the NSA. Hosting ~170M text-only 2003-2014 4chan posts (mostly 2006-2008).
[7 / 0 / ?]

[1383004030] Using RFID / Geocache tags to trace child?

No.25645 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
A friend's husband absconded with their child, and I've been trying to help her find him.  She thinks that if the father's parents were given or found a toy containing a trackable tag--like RFID or Geocache or something similar--that they'd secretly send it to the child, and that could be tracked. She is totally heartbroken and desperate.  I don't think that such a tag could be traced remotely across country, possibly even out of the country, unless you were in the immediate vicinity of the tag.  I guess that maybe even a short distance might help if the police were investigating a tip and wanted to make sure it was him, and they had some app that tracked the tag. 

This isn't a case where there's any issues about abuse--it just seems to be about jealousy and possessiveness, and my friend has already agreed not to prosecute the father if he'll just bring the child back and agree to shared custody.   Is there anyone who can explain what kind of tag would work in a situation like this?  I'm also a little worried that the father might scan the toy through his GPS and find the tag.