Update 2024-03-27: Greatly expanded the "Samples" page and renamed it to "Glossary".
Update 2024-04-04: Added 5 million mid-2011 posts from the k47 post dump. Browse (mostly) them here.
Update 2024-04-07: Added ~400 October 2003 posts from 4chan.net. Browse them here.

Welcome to Oldfriend Archive, hosting ~170M text-only 2003-2014 4chan posts (mostly 2006-2008).
[12 / 3 / ?]

No.14734300 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
I'd love to try joining D&D Encounters to kill some time with a couple hours of casual D&D each week, but does it really have to be level 1 only and Essentials books only?

I find it kind of lame that an official campaign centered around combat encounters with a predetermined plot restricts players to making characters who quickly devolve into at-will spam. I'm not even taking into account the Essentials thing here, even a non-Essentials level 1 character doesn't have that riveting an arsenal of options in combat.

I don't see the purpose of the Essentials-only limitation. It's not like the game can be broken at level 1. So, it's okay to play a VAMPIRE of all things in D&D Encounters, but I can't play a barbarian, a bard, a druid, or a sorcerer (amongst many other classes), because those aren't in Essentials books?

Encounters just looks like so much wasted potential to me.