Update 2024-03-27: Greatly expanded the "Samples" page and renamed it to "Glossary".
Update 2024-04-04: Added 5 million mid-2011 posts from the k47 post dump. Browse (mostly) them here.
Update 2024-04-07: Added ~400 October 2003 posts from 4chan.net. Browse them here.

Welcome to Oldfriend Archive, the official 4chan archive of the NSA. Hosting ~170M text-only 2003-2014 4chan posts (mostly 2006-2008).
[4 / 2 / ?]

No.14743463 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
So, since there was some interest in yesterday's thread, I figure I'll post another one. Me and a few buddies of mine are working on a vehicle-based animu sci-fi wargame. Basically, we're trying to emulate the feel of mecha anime while not necessarily focusing solely on humanoid mecha. The idea is to have a system that lets you create your own tank, jet, hovercraft or whatever, and fight each other. The current plan is to make it campaign-based once we get the basic rules down, so you get the satisfaction of upgrading your units, pilots and so on. Sort of like Mordheim meets Macross.

Anyway, as for progress, well we're still in the very early development stage. We've finally managed to make bipedal mecha somewhat viable when compared to wheeled, tracked or flying vehicles, mostly by fixing another issue. Melee attacks were far too powerful thanks to the massive discount on melee weapons when compared to guns, so we did a bit of thinking and came up with the idea to restrict all but ramming melee attacks to mecha. Granted, this removes the possibility of having your tank punch enemies to death, but that's a sacrifice we'll just have to make. We used to have arms that could be fitted to vehicles much like turrets, but it got really bogged down in rules and lead to silly single-armed jets wielding a giant meat-cleaver.

The current issue is with armour. Namely, cost and effectiveness of various types of armour. It's really hard to make it effective enough that it's worth using and expensive enough that it just doesn't beat the everloving shit out of weapons.