Update 2024-03-27: Greatly expanded the "Samples" page and renamed it to "Glossary".
Update 2024-04-04: Added 5 million mid-2011 posts from the k47 post dump. Browse (mostly) them here.
Update 2024-04-07: Added ~400 October 2003 posts from 4chan.net. Browse them here.

Welcome to Oldfriend Archive, the official 4chan archive of the NSA. Hosting ~170M text-only 2003-2014 4chan posts (mostly 2006-2008).
[9 / 1 / ?]

No.14753018 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
Good morning /tg/. Today, I'd like to talk about constructs. Specifically, I'd like to talk about which construct would make the best Terminator stand in should a DM decide to get trigger-happy with pop culture references.

It's tempting to disregard all of the golems, since they are mindless, cannot speak and are always the wrong size. However, a special golem might be particularly well programmed and given control over a permanent magic mouth attached to it, it's more important for the construct to feel like the Terminator in combat, and some golems do that well enough to justify the handwaving. Iron Golems, Stone Golems and Adamantine Golems all have good attacks, damage, DR and hitpoints, in addition to immunity to most magics.

The Inevitable are really something else, what with being intelligent but still programmed. Choosing from the Inevitable, the Zelekhut is right out because it's a flying centaur robot. The Kolyarut, while looking the part better than the other Inevitable, doesn't match the MO or the combat feel of the Terminator. That leaves us with the Marut, which does have the good attack, damage, DR and hitpoints we're looking for. Also, like the other Inevitable, it has fast healing.

The last option I can think of is to have a construct that is also a PC race with a lot of fighter levels. The race would be either Warforged (problem: they have free will...although they could also be very, very lawful) and some other construct race whose name I do not recall (I think it began with an M). For the same hitdice, this option might actually provide better attack, damage and hitpoints than the other options, and possibly better DR as well with the use of magic items.

I cannot think of any other good options. Out of the ones I have listed, which is the best, or is there something better that I just don't know about (and if so, what is it)?