Update 2024-03-27: Greatly expanded the "Samples" page and renamed it to "Glossary".
Update 2024-04-04: Added 5 million mid-2011 posts from the k47 post dump. Browse (mostly) them here.
Update 2024-04-07: Added ~400 October 2003 posts from 4chan.net. Browse them here.

Welcome to Oldfriend Archive, hosting ~170M text-only 2003-2014 4chan posts (mostly 2006-2008).
[64 / 7 / ?]

No.14776170 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
It's come to my attention that most /tg/ers who DM seem to make up their own fantasy worlds, or re-invent existing tropes. I always hear of 'well in my game dwarves are just ugly humans' or 'monks don't exist in my setting' and I think this is awesome. I though it would be nice to have a thread dedicated to things like that. How is your setting different from the normal fantasy tropes? Or if you just want to throw some ideas out. I've been kicking a few ideas to spice up fantasy a bit as well;

>All Humanoid races descended from dwarves, who worship a god similar to Hephaestus. He granted them the gift of pyromancy and they have used this to be the first race to smelt metal. Giving them a huge jump-start towards the industrial age. Because of the nature of this fire-magic, it is not uncommon for a dwarf to shave his beard to avoid it catching fire.

>Elves come from a sect of dwarves who purposely contracted vampirism. They believed it gave them a huge advantage living underground and began digging even deeper. Eventually a war broke out between the dwarves and the vampires and they were sealed off deep underground. Food was scarce and some began feeding off eachother. These few have now evolved into feral eye-less humanoid bat-like creatures. The splinter part of this race have become similar to the drow, at least in appearance. When food had reached its low a huge devourer worm borrowed its way through their small camp and into a huge underground cavern filled with all the fungus, crystals, and delicious animals to eat. They now worship this worm.