Update 2024-03-27: Greatly expanded the "Samples" page and renamed it to "Glossary".
Update 2024-04-04: Added 5 million mid-2011 posts from the k47 post dump. Browse (mostly) them here.
Update 2024-04-07: Added ~400 October 2003 posts from 4chan.net. Browse them here.

Welcome to Oldfriend Archive, hosting ~170M text-only 2003-2014 4chan posts (mostly 2006-2008).
[2 / 1 / ?]

Evil in your game

No.14776662 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
Evil is one of the most relevant subjects for /tg/ to discuss. We fight it, we play it, often, we are it.

So tell everyone just how you like your villains. What are their motivations? What are their modes of operation? What exactly do they do?

As a DM, I specialize in two things: likable NPC's (Not DMPC's, just likable NPC's) and villains that players hate beyond reason, who almost never actually fight the heroes.

That is because I prefer my villains to have a goal: Suffering. Their philosophy is this: What use is a dead man? Far better to hurt someone until you break their spirit, and then remake them in your image. All those NPC's the characters love? The campaign becomes an extended session of trying to save them from becoming broken puppets of the villain. If they fail, they are broken.

Certainly they can fight the villain - if they're willing to sacrifice people. See, the BBEG does nothing without a plan that will succeed even if he loses. If the players move against him, he sends minions to attack three towns, and runs.

If they catch him? He'll bargain with the lives of the people to get free. If he escapes? He'll break those people, turn them into his thralls. If they save the town? He is still free, and used the time to go get new, more powerful minions.

When players finally defeat them, the experience is truly amazing. They high five, shout, run around the table, some have even cried.

Mind you, I keep this type of villain rare so it isn't overplayed, but it is my favorite kind.