Update 2024-03-27: Greatly expanded the "Samples" page and renamed it to "Glossary".
Update 2024-04-04: Added 5 million mid-2011 posts from the k47 post dump. Browse (mostly) them here.
Update 2024-04-07: Added ~400 October 2003 posts from 4chan.net. Browse them here.

Welcome to Oldfriend Archive, hosting ~170M text-only 2003-2014 4chan posts (mostly 2006-2008).
[72 / 7 / ?]

No.14785826 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
I'll start DMing a new campaign soon, and all my players are fantasy-buffs, from books to playing RPGs, etc.

I want the first session to contain the biggest amount of anti-cliches possible.
I've got some ideas, but most that I can think of would involve players and their backstories, not things that a DM does.

For example, I will introduce a seemingly-Mary Sue DMPC who will seem overpowered compared to the players, but have them be pathetic and die.
A werewar will ask them to go kill 10 humans who are plaguing its basement.
If the players end up in the tavern, there will be no fights, no one will come in asking for 5 adventurers to help him retrieve his caravan or any of that shit. It will be completely uneventful.
One NPC will literally have a 'dark' past, because he used to be a miner and they only hired races with darkvision so they could save the money used in torches/light sources.

Can you help me with some more, /tg/?