Update 2024-03-27: Greatly expanded the "Samples" page and renamed it to "Glossary".
Update 2024-04-04: Added 5 million mid-2011 posts from the k47 post dump. Browse (mostly) them here.
Update 2024-04-07: Added ~400 October 2003 posts from 4chan.net. Browse them here.

Welcome to Oldfriend Archive, hosting ~170M text-only 2003-2014 4chan posts (mostly 2006-2008).
[171 / 151 / ?]

Sci-fi /cyberpunk artwork general / plot hooks for a sci-fi campaign

No.23514081 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
This was a /toy/ thread but I redid it for /tg/

I'm 31, born in 81, and when I was about 12 or 13 or so I bought a pack of sci-fi art trading cards. I lost them long ago, but I was impressed by the artwork, and I'd like to track down the artist, whose name I didn't remember.

I also had some Jurassic Park trading cards, and some X-men series 2 trading cards. Full sets of JP sell on ebay for $35, and I once bought a box of X-Men series 2 for six bucks. SIX BUCKS, people.

It's not this, I checked.
http://www.amazon.com/MacLeod-Sci-Fi-Fantasty-Trading-Cards/dp/B000BWSCHK

Once my best "friend" traded me a foil X-men cards for some jank, and it took me forever to get another foil X-men of that character. I was so pissed at him for suckering me like that. It was my best friend goddammit. Really opened my eyes to how I see people.

Another time, we were at a card shop, and I let my friend go first to buy cards. He pulled the hologram Wolverine, which was the super-rare-incredibly hard-to-find-card that was the chase rare of the set.

After taking a quick spin through ebay, I figured out that it was the John Burkey trading card set. The art is still really good, if a bit dated. Very late 70s, early 80s. Like coming outta that Star Wars art phase.

That got me inspired.

Anyway, sci-fi cyberpunk / non-sports Trading cards general? Also, anybody have any cool stories of collecting cards as kids?

Also plot hooks for a campaign set in the future?