Update 2024-03-27: Greatly expanded the "Samples" page and renamed it to "Glossary".
Update 2024-04-04: Added 5 million mid-2011 posts from the k47 post dump. Browse (mostly) them here.
Update 2024-04-07: Added ~400 October 2003 posts from 4chan.net. Browse them here.

Welcome to Oldfriend Archive, hosting ~170M text-only 2003-2014 4chan posts (mostly 2006-2008).
!EMdDFo4Yio
[225 / 142 / ?]

Retro Sci-Fi General

!EMdDFo4Yio No.25531310 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
I have a hankering lately to run a campaign in a retro scifi type setting. I'm talking the golden era of science fiction.

Where the planets didn't seem that far away.
Where we believed there was oxygen on mars, and possibly the moon.
Where rockets and rayguns were on every cover of every amazing stories.
Where space didn't seem so harsh and unforgiving, and was seen more as a wilderness awaiting discovery.
Where robots were blocky, clunky, and yet still terrifying.

I discovered a game that filled the niche quite well. Cosmic Patrol by catalyst game labs. It handles the rich feel of the aesthetic of 1940's to early 1960's science fiction movies and comics. It keeps the adventure and awesome high, while not taking itself too seriously.

So this is a retro scifi general thread. I will dump some inspirational art to keep the thread bumped and hopefully get some stories of people who played in this, and maybe some suggestions for other games to run it in.