Update 2024-03-27: Greatly expanded the "Samples" page and renamed it to "Glossary".
Update 2024-04-04: Added 5 million mid-2011 posts from the k47 post dump. Browse (mostly) them here.
Update 2024-04-07: Added ~400 October 2003 posts from 4chan.net. Browse them here.

Welcome to Oldfriend Archive, hosting ~170M text-only 2003-2014 4chan posts (mostly 2006-2008).
[1 / 0 / ?]

No.3065383 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
So, I've been playing GURPS 4e for quite some time but there's one thing that never, ever seemed to make the slightest bit of sense to me, and that's the skill increase system. The whole skill cost table during character creation thing is tollerable if only because you only have to use it there and then, but ye-gods what on earth made anyone think that the actual cost for an increase being the difference between the cost of the current level and the cost of the desired level on the skill cost chart?

I'm currently just saying that skill increases have a flat cost based on their difficulty, 2, 4, 6 and 8 for easy normal, hard and very hard and skill levels exceeding 2x their base stat are at double cost.

Can you help me understand the point of the whole skill cost table and wierd ass skill increase thing?