Update 2024-03-27: Greatly expanded the "Samples" page and renamed it to "Glossary".
Update 2024-04-04: Added 5 million mid-2011 posts from the k47 post dump. Browse (mostly) them here.
Update 2024-04-07: Added ~400 October 2003 posts from 4chan.net. Browse them here.

Welcome to Oldfriend Archive, hosting ~170M text-only 2003-2014 4chan posts (mostly 2006-2008).
[16 / 4 / ?]

No.462265 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
Hey, /trv/, not sure if this is the best place to ask, but I want to learn some foreign languages so I can travel or do whatever. I'd like to get a job doing that, interpreting or whatever. Especially after hearing how my friend's cousin does basically that for the government, seems like a great job to me.

I wanted to start with Chinese, as either that or the Middle Eastern languages seem the most profitable now, but China is more appealing. So what exactly are my options as far as that goes? I've only really come up with majoring in Chinese at a college good for it (Of which I don't know any), or, as I don't have very much money, my parents have poor credit and debt and all that bad stuff, which might make getting loans and such hard, although my credit is good, joining a branch of the Military and try to aim to do that. Is that even feasible? Can anyone speak from experience on any of this? I'd much appreciate any advice given.

Thanks much.