Update 2024-03-27: Greatly expanded the "Samples" page and renamed it to "Glossary".
Update 2024-04-04: Added 5 million mid-2011 posts from the k47 post dump. Browse (mostly) them here.
Update 2024-04-07: Added ~400 October 2003 posts from 4chan.net. Browse them here.

Welcome to Oldfriend Archive, hosting ~170M text-only 2003-2014 4chan posts (mostly 2006-2008).
[4 / 1 / ?]

No.462670 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
Alright /trv/, I want anything you can give me on this.

I'm 21 and halfway through college at the moment and I'm finding my life to be very... bland. Nondescript. Vanilla. I could tell you exactly where I'll be in five years if I keep this up and I don't like that at all.

So I want to take my shot at traveling. I want to leave everything behind and just go off from this summer until I don't feel like it anymore, whenever that is. Could be a month, six months, couple years, I have no idea. I'm no stranger to living extremely cheap; I've been paying my way through college. What I want to do is get a backpack, cheap laptop, some clothes, and just go places with as little money used as possible.

I've got about 5 or $600 saved up in a bank account and could easily build up another however much at the beginning of summer for a plane ticket, travel visa work, equipment, etc. So my question is, where should I start and how should I go about it? I want to try some if not all the methods I've learned about here on /trv/: WWOOFing, CSing, WorkX, Workaway.info, hitchhiking, fucking staying at temples, all of it. I'm open to everything. What I've been able to come up with so far is to start with WWOOFing in a first world country in the Northern hemisphere for the first bit, and then just go from there. Most likely Europe or Japan. Build up some muscles, then go out for getting small jobs while traveling or just continue WWOOFing about.

Any advice? Am I overglamorizing starting a new life traveling? Am I a faggot? Anything would be helpful.