Update 2024-03-27: Greatly expanded the "Samples" page and renamed it to "Glossary".
Update 2024-04-04: Added 5 million mid-2011 posts from the k47 post dump. Browse (mostly) them here.
Update 2024-04-07: Added ~400 October 2003 posts from 4chan.net. Browse them here.

Welcome to Oldfriend Archive, the official 4chan archive of the NSA. Hosting ~170M text-only 2003-2014 4chan posts (mostly 2006-2008).
[7 / 0 / ?]

No.69770 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
Hey /trv/.

I just realized I have never left North America, and that this needs to be addressed as soon as possible. I would like to go to Argentina and possibly Chile this summer. I have enough cash, a passport, frequent flier miles (if they apply).

The only thing I don't have is command of the Spanish language. I can handle basic phrases, etc., but other than that, I'd be speaking from a guidebook. I'm not stupid enough to assume people speak English there.

So my question is: how long does it take to pick up a language, specifically Spanish? If I went this summer, one of the primary goals would be to learn Spanish, as it will be a valuable asset when I graduate.

I'm not stupid, nor will I cower in a corner if nobody can speak my language, so I'm confident I could pick it up eventually. The only question is how long? It's a bit difficult to find information about this unless I'm looking in all the wrong places.