Update 2024-03-27: Greatly expanded the "Samples" page and renamed it to "Glossary".
Update 2024-04-04: Added 5 million mid-2011 posts from the k47 post dump. Browse (mostly) them here.
Update 2024-04-07: Added ~400 October 2003 posts from 4chan.net. Browse them here.

Welcome to Oldfriend Archive, the official 4chan archive of the NSA. Hosting ~170M text-only 2003-2014 4chan posts (mostly 2006-2008).
[12 / 0 / ?]

No.82038 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
Well, looks like I may lose my job as a programmer in the economic downturn. I've got a few thousand dollars saved up. And I'm at a crossroads at what to do in life. I don't have any friends, and haven't spoken to my family in years.

I've been thinking about moving from the medium sized city I'm in into a bigger city. I've priced out wireless internet and a library card for a university campus library to about $400/annually. That's pretty cheap and the library is open from 7am until 1am every day of the week. I can get a gym pass for $30/month so I can use a shower.

I'm thinking about living out of my van and spending most of my time at the library with my laptop, and picking up some freelance computer/software programming work.

I'd have to spend a bit of money and time outfitting my van for this purpose.

Good idea or bad idea?

I'm really unsure because my biggest fear is that the plan fails and I end up begging on the streets 6 months from now. But I don't see myself getting a job better than flipping burgers for $12/hour where I'm at, plus I need to pay $800/month in rent currently.