Update 2024-03-27: Greatly expanded the "Samples" page and renamed it to "Glossary".
Update 2024-04-04: Added 5 million mid-2011 posts from the k47 post dump. Browse (mostly) them here.
Update 2024-04-07: Added ~400 October 2003 posts from 4chan.net. Browse them here.

Welcome to Oldfriend Archive, the official 4chan archive of the NSA. Hosting ~170M text-only 2003-2014 4chan posts (mostly 2006-2008).
[7 / 3 / ?]

Saw it

No.15821087 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
First of all, This movie will be very polarizing, in the same way Antichrist was.

It's far less of a narrative story than I was expecting and more of a tone poem in the vein of Tarkovksy's work. Tonally, it feels a bit like the opening of 2001 with a tiny bit of Darren Aronofsky's The Fountain and a tiny bit of Benjamin Button. But at the same time, it is nothing like those. I really admire that this film got made considering who's involved. Plus, it's a f--king art film with CGI dinosaurs(!) I found it so audacious.

It's structure is also very unique. Near the start, it beautifully transitions into the beginning of time space scenes, dinosaurs, animals evolving into the animals we are today and perfectly weaves back into the story with Brad pitt and family. These scenes play out in a strangely jarring way which felt slightly hypnotic to me. as I said, it's more tone poem than straight forward narrative so it felt as if I was watching a collection of memories and/or small moments in their lives. Unfortunately, This also was a downside for me. It was as if I couldn't connect with any of the characters. There was a distance there. While im focusing on what I found problematic, I will say that the whispering multi narrators got a little tiresome after a while, crossing into self parody for Malick. What they say and how they say it will be a part of where the polarizing views will happen. Some will see that part as self important hogwash. My last problem is that of Sean Penn's character. He isn't in it as much as one would expect and hardly has a line of dialogue. He just vacantly stares while reflecting on his past with his father.

Maybe im missing a larger point here but I found the movie as a whole to be impenetrable in what exactly it's trying to say. And is 2.5 hours too much of an indulgence a director can give themselves to say it?