Update 2024-03-27: Greatly expanded the "Samples" page and renamed it to "Glossary".
Update 2024-04-04: Added 5 million mid-2011 posts from the k47 post dump. Browse (mostly) them here.
Update 2024-04-07: Added ~400 October 2003 posts from 4chan.net. Browse them here.

Welcome to Oldfriend Archive, the official 4chan archive of the NSA. Hosting ~170M text-only 2003-2014 4chan posts (mostly 2006-2008).
[13 / 0 / ?]

[1376826937] Decision Making

No.108957 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
Make decisions

Debating the 'best' decision can lead to actually deciding nothing. Good decision making is often a 'teams and timing' thing.

Good decision makers seem to have three key abilities: they gather the appropriate evidence (and ignore irrelevances), weigh it up correctly and make the decision at just the right time.

Sometimes decision making is a solo activity - say, when you are the only person with all the information necessary to make that decision. On other occasions, we can reach a better quality decision by involving others. In his book The Wisdom of Crowds, columnist James Surowiecki explores how large groups of people can consistently deploy their pooled wisdom to outstrip individuals - no matter how brilliant the individual - in solving problems, fostering innovation and coming to wise decisions.

When it comes to making the decision at the right time, there is obviously no 'one-size-fits-all' moment. Every decision has to be assessed in its own context. Generally speaking, you'll find it's more important to make the right decision than the 'best' decision. Every decision involves a level of risk, and some decisions are more critical than others to get absolutely right. If there are a number of ways of doing something, and it looks like most of them would work well enough, there's little value to be gained - and much time to be lost - in agonising over finding the best possible solution. On those occasions, just be pragmatic: implement a perfectly satisfactory solution - even if it's not absolutely optimal.

Ken walks past an clothing shop.

Ken : "OMIGOD, THAT COMMEDES GARCONS SUIT IS LOVE!! IT'S ON SALES?! ONLY £450!!!

BUT MY CREDIT CARD IS ALMOST MAXED OUT...ON THE OTHER HAND, THE AGENCY WILL PAY ME THIS FRIDAY..."

Shop Owner : "UM, SIR? WE'RE CLOSING NOW -"

Ken : "NOT UNTIL I BUY THAT SUIT!! HERE TAKE MY MONEY!! TAKE IT!!"