Update 2024-03-27: Greatly expanded the "Samples" page and renamed it to "Glossary".
Update 2024-04-04: Added 5 million mid-2011 posts from the k47 post dump. Browse (mostly) them here.
Update 2024-04-07: Added ~400 October 2003 posts from 4chan.net. Browse them here.

Welcome to Oldfriend Archive, hosting ~170M text-only 2003-2014 4chan posts (mostly 2006-2008).
[544 / 34 / ?]

No.152497676 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
Is Valve a failed studio?

Obviously I'm not talking financially, I'm talking creatively and in terms of relevance.

Think about it, they're self funded, don't have to answer to anyone and have an essentially unlimited revenue stream - and what do they do with all of this?

They make the safest games possible. They don't try to push technology. They don't try to create new gameplay (preferring instead to rely on physics puzzles that had been done before HL2) or attempt to revolutionize a genre. Instead, they make games that are heavily focus grouped and always appeal to the lowest common denominator while refusing to try out new gameplay mechanics that aren't related to the gravity gun.

So, in this light, is Valve a failed studio? When even a company as iron clad as Valve refuses to try something new, I think it's safe to say that the industry as a whole has serious problems.