Update 2024-03-27: Greatly expanded the "Samples" page and renamed it to "Glossary".
Update 2024-04-04: Added 5 million mid-2011 posts from the k47 post dump. Browse (mostly) them here.
Update 2024-04-07: Added ~400 October 2003 posts from 4chan.net. Browse them here.

Welcome to Oldfriend Archive, the official 4chan archive of the NSA. Hosting ~170M text-only 2003-2014 4chan posts (mostly 2006-2008).
[55 / 7 / ?]

Polybius

No.7555509 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
I am sure many of you have heard of the infamous Polybius arcade machine, and probably heard the same canned story that gets packaged with it. The story goes that it was in a couple arcades in obscure suburbs of Portland, Oregon in the early 1980's, and that kids who played it were plagued by a variety problems. These range from various degrees of amnesia, night terrors, newfound dislike of video games, and in at least one case the inability to become sad, which is about as stupid as it is improbable. Another detail that gets included is that men in black suits would collect data from the machine occasionally, but they never collected the money. So, other than that, and the black and white picture of the arcade cabinet, and the screenshot of the title screen not much is known. So being the /x/phile that I am, this has intrigued me since I originally heard the story in an issue of GamePro magazine, and I decided to look a little deeper. (if you want the full story use your google-fu)