Update 2024-03-27: Greatly expanded the "Samples" page and renamed it to "Glossary".
Update 2024-04-04: Added 5 million mid-2011 posts from the k47 post dump. Browse (mostly) them here.
Update 2024-04-07: Added ~400 October 2003 posts from 4chan.net. Browse them here.

Welcome to Oldfriend Archive, the official 4chan archive of the NSA. Hosting ~170M text-only 2003-2014 4chan posts (mostly 2006-2008).
[217 / 43 / ?]

The Hat Man

No.7560036 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
When I was young, there was a man that I'd see in the living room every day, in the corner like a silhouette. I couldn't make out his facial features. His head was very round. His eyes were large, black, and could've been sunglasses. His hat was a black wide-brimmed gaucho; the top was flat, and the brim was as wide as his shoulders. He would observe me.

The first time I saw him, I described him to my mother, and the reaction was so passive that I figured he was harmless. She said "That's just your imagination." I didn't know what the word meant, so I called him Imagination. He would observe me as I played with toys on the floor, or while I watched TV on the couch. I never felt any sense of malice or danger. Rather, he was a part of the living room; the couch, the bookshelf, the man in the hat, the telephone table. He wasn't something I'd see out of the corner of my eye. If I looked in his exact direction, I'd see him sitting, watching me. I could focus on his hat, face, or body in the same way I could focus on any other tangible object. Even so, I was never afraid.

This went on for years, though he eventually left. Over the years, he has gone from a visceral experience to simple childhood whimsy until the other night when some friends and I were talking about weird stuff from our childhood, and I brought this up. This spurred my curiosity, and I ended up doing some internet searches. What I discovered BLEW ME AWAY.

Do a search for The Hat Man yourself. Not only was I not the only one to report this entity, but there are HUNDREDS of reports out there from all corners of our world.

Have any of you been visited by The Hat Man?

No faggery going on in here. I am being 100% earnest.