Update 2024-03-27: Greatly expanded the "Samples" page and renamed it to "Glossary".
Update 2024-04-04: Added 5 million mid-2011 posts from the k47 post dump. Browse (mostly) them here.
Update 2024-04-07: Added ~400 October 2003 posts from 4chan.net. Browse them here.

Welcome to Oldfriend Archive, the official 4chan archive of the NSA. Hosting ~170M text-only 2003-2014 4chan posts (mostly 2006-2008).
!!rbkQdekA6S3
[299 / 92 / ?]

!!rbkQdekA6S3 No.9520421 View ViewReplyOriginalReport
Hey /x/, let's have a talk about shit in videogames that creeps you out.

I'm NOT talking about any supernatural or haunted Majora's Mask or Pokemon cartridges, I'm talking about shit that's actually in standard videogames that creeps you out. Examples of where game-developers actually succeeded in making something legitimately scary.

Bonus points if your example is something NOT from a horror-game or anything that's typically thought of as being a "scary" game.

I'll start us off with what I think is a good example.

Am I the only one that thinks the wildlife from the Xen Dimension are absolute nightmares come to life?
I played Half-Life 2 back when it came out when I was in High School, and only recently have I now replayed it with a friend of mine who enjoys being a back-seat gamer.
For whatever reason, Headcrabs and Headcrab Zombies now freak me out WORSE than they did when I was younger, which I don't really understand.

Those fucking Fast Headcrab Zombies are the worst. They jump like fucking Jackie Chan, and the way they shriek and howl as they come flying at you is something straight out of a horror movie.
But the lone Headcrabs themselves are probably even worse than the Zombies, the Fast Headcrabs probably being even worse than their Poison brethren (which are plenty freaky themselves, the way they shriek and rattle when they jump at you).
Seriously, FUCK Fast Headcrabs. The way they run around, and those GIANT FUCKING MOUTHS, Fast Headcrabs are, in my opinion, the worst thing since Sliced Hitler.
At the end of the Ravenholm chapter, you make an escape through a mine-shaft. It's a dark area that is literally SWARMING with every variety of Headcrab. Being trapped down in a place like that would probably be my absolute worst nightmare.

Similarly, the entire Fort Frolic chapter in Bioshock was a creepy, unpleasant affair. This became especially true when the plaster-covered Splicers started pretending to be statues.
Seriously, fuck Sander Cohen.